Quick Look Into the Future

This past Friday night was the opening reception of a show I was part of. I'm very happy about this show. It's my first professional exhibit since graduating from school. I have been working very hard the past two years to get a body of work together and now that I have a group of paintings I'm submitting them to as many shows I can find. This was the first show I submitted my work to and the first acceptance. Although it may not be one of the high end galleries of Chelsea, NY, it is still a NY gallery and I'm happy to add it to my resume. In all it was great to be part of the show and it gave me a quick peek into my future. I hope there are plenty more shows to come.
This is the accepted painting and it amazed me at how different it looked hanging in the wall of this gallery. This is the funny thing about art. In the studio it looks a certain way, but when it hangs in a different space far from the artist's, it becomes alive and commands attention. For some reason the colors looked more rich than I thought they were.Here are a few examples of the work hanging in the exhibition. The photograph was the favorite among friends. I thought they were right, it had drama and light, good reasons for anyone to be attracted to it. My personal favorite was an abstract painting showing many different layers. It had movement, the color was alive and I love the thick and thin application of paint. The composition of this painting hit the nail as well.

I'm not a big fan of conceptual, post modernist art, but I loved this one. I thought it was well put together and the pairings of words was good. After walking around and looking at the work and taking pictures it was time to get my drink on! Who can resist free food and drink?



Comments

Peter Yesis said…
Congratulations, your hard work is beginning to pay off. The painting is wonderful. Great composition. Nice to see something done differently with a plate and fruit.
Keep at it, this is only the beginning!
Luis Colan said…
Hi Peter, thanks for the encouragement. I hope, like you say, it is only the beginning.

Coco, I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more good news from you soon.

Luis
Mauricio said…
Hola Luis amigo.

Te felicito! genial notícia. Me parece muy bien lo mereces y mucho más.

Un abrzo y buena semana.
M.
J Matt Miller said…
Congrats Lois! I know what you mean about the work looking different on the gallery wall. Nice feeling, no?
Jeffrey Hayes said…
Congratulations, Luis. It's the first of a great many, I'm sure.

-Jeff
Takeyce said…
YAY, Luis!!! Congrats. Your painting is beautiful. I'm sure this is a great start to many more exhibits.
Luis Colan said…
Thank you everyone!!!!!

Luis
::Alejandro:: said…
Muchas felicidades!

Looks like a great opening and a good party.


Saludos,

Alejandro
Peru Food
ming said…
i like yours the most
Luis Colan said…
Hey Alejandro, it was a good party, with all the wine and beer by 7:30 pm I was tanked!!!!! After that went out with friends for more drinks. It was a great night.

Hi Ming, thank you for that!

Luis

Popular Posts