Abstract Studies

Abstract Study No.1, 2007, pen, pencil, and watercolor on paper, 7 1/4 x 9 inches
For some time I have been thinking allot about abstract compositions. It seems like I miss a whole lot being able to spread paint across a large canvas, and search for forms and colors that await their release. But painting large abstractions at this moment doesn't seem like it might work, since I'm not ready for that yet. There's something holding me back, but that's alright, since on the day that I do decide to start again, all ideas and feelings will flow out of me and make the process more enjoyable.
Abstract Study No.2, 2007, pen and watercolor on paper, 7 1/4 x 9 inches
Last night, a very hot heavy humid summer night, I did not have the energy to paint. The heat made me think that I would feel even more hot and uncomfortable if I started working with oils. My skin felt oily enough! I needed something refreshing for such a night. In the quite confines of my bedroom, sitting on my desk, I brought out pieces of heavy paper I cut and saved four years ago and started working on them.
Abstract Study No.3, 2007, pen and watercolor on paper, 7 1/4 x 9 inches
These studies are a sort of warm ups before starting to do anything serious. I'm trying to get comfortable again with compositional divisions and the use of color. These studies are also a way of practicing loose paint applications, since painting still lifes have caused my hand to tighten up. Not sure what I'm looking for as of yet, but as I keep working with these studies things may become more clear.

Comments

Popular Posts