Back In Action!

Finally the day came! Because of bad weather, especially on Tuesdays, I hadn't been out to paint in Central Park for three weeks. We did experience some showers last night and was hoping class wouldn't get postponed until next week. That would have been a bad joke. But the sun did peek through during the overcast morning, and along with Rob and Andrea, I set out to paint in the Ravine of Central Park. It was a no brainer that I should paint this bridge after being brought to there.
With my palette ready and brushes handy I dove right into it. I wasn't sure if I would be able to capture the scene but I was up for the challenge. I think I had some built up anger from missing class for so long that withing a few short minutes of painting I had nailed down the composition and proceeded to start building the paint.
By this point I was confident in the direction of this painting. I just needed to make sure to complete most of it under two hours. Once I had blocked in most of the important shapes, I began to work in some details. I needed to make sure not to get caught up with minutia if I wanted to finish this painting before class was over.
The Ravine, 2009, oil on canvas, 10 x 8 inches
I did what I could under limited time, but I'm very happy with the product. There are things that could be tweaked, but this is a landscape study, not a "finished" piece. Perhaps I'll save those changes for when I enlarge this painting, well that's if I ever get to it.

Comments

Popular Posts