Progress Report

It may seem like I may have fallen out of the face of the earth, that's if you go by my last blog post, but I'll have you know I'm still here, alive and kicking! This winter has been brutal on us here in New York. It has been snowing and raining at least two days a week since Christmas, and the cold has kept me indoors as much as possible. Not going out isn't so bad though, it has kept me occupied and very productive.
I have been working on the new still life, and I'm surprised how fast I'm getting it done. Since the last blog entry this painting has come a long way, specially the background. I was convinced that the ideal background for this painting would be a deep rich black, and was planning for the objects to emerge from the darkness. Not realizing it, I was being influenced by Zurbaran's still life. The idea of it was intimidating, didn't want to be considered a copy cat, not to mention that my take would fail miserably. I kept woking on it despite my insecurities, and one night I looked at the painting and thought "who am I kidding?" I gave up black backgrounds years ago, besides, I was itching to introduce another color and play with light and atmosphere. Once the color was changed the painting started heading on the right direction.

Comments

Popular Posts