On the Works

Work continues in the studio as I await the arrival of spring. Time is flying by, we're almost at the middle of the April and all I've accomplished is one small still life. I'm trying to finish a few things before the lazy summer days begin.
I have been working on this still life, and the closer I seem to get to the finish line the more things I need to tweak. There was something off with this painting, and thanks to someone very dear to me, I was made to see that the background was too bright. It was competing with the the objects on the counter. I toned the white background to this light grey, and immediately I saw the painting change for the better. I was supposed to finish this piece more than a week ago to get it ready for a show entry, but things don't always go as planned. At least now I have the frame ready, waiting to be installed.
This is a close up of the towel. I have been working hard on this, building texture and trying to capture the soft changes of light that take place throughout. The left side is more finished than the right, but no worries, I'll get it all to look even.
I recently started working on this tromp l'oeil, my first, and so far I'm happy with what I see. I have been noticing that my drawing skills have been getting better, and I'm also getting better with my value range. I guess cast drawing once a week for almost two years is paying off.
This is the first layer of color, although the camera didn't catch it, there are a few light areas on the roses. I'm also learning from my mistakes, reason why I'm trying not to add too much white to the wall. I've been using a color call Zinc Buff by Williamsburg, I have to admit I have been obsessed with it for a number of years. Its rosy warm tone allows me to have bright areas that are not too cold or harsh. More to come.

Comments

Popular Posts