Life is a Beach...

Jones Beach Before a Storm, 2011, oil on linen, 9 x 11 inches
At least it was for a few hours yesterday afternoon. It's so hard to believe that summer is coming to an end and yesterday was the first time I went to the beach this season. It may not have been the perfect beach day, but it was enjoyable to lay on the sand and hear the waves crashing on the shore. I was not going to pass up on the opportunity of doing a quick plein air painting at Jones Beach, and it went smoother than expected. I thought that I would get sand everywhere, but by now it seems that I am able to keep debris away from my work. I finished this painting just in time before the rain came down, as soon as we made it back to the car it began pouring. Man was I lucky! It's funny to me that the two paintings of Jones Beach I have done have been stormy scenes...I swear Long Island has plenty of sunny days and I've enjoyed my share of them, but stormy days do make an interesting painting. More plein air painting to come.

Comments

Popular Posts