Recent Plein Air Paintings

Fall Afternoon in Olivebridge, 2014, oil on linen, 10 x 14 inches
These are two recent paintings from my last weekend trip to Olivebridge in the Hudson Valley. The leaves started to turn and the Catskill Mountain would glow orange, red, and violet according to the changing light of the day. Mother nature can put on quite a show in the fall, and as a landscape painter these visions of light and color are the things I live for.  There is only so much one can do with a brush and paint to reproduce this sort of display.  Being a plein air painter can be humbling, standing in the middle of a field trying to capture a fraction of my surroundings not only is it a joy but also a frustration because no matter how hard I try or how long I spend on a painting I know that I will never do nature justice.  
Overcast Morning in Olivebridge, 2014, oil on linen, 10 x 14 inches
These two paintings, along with ten others are current on view as part of my show, Recent Paintings, at the New York Public Library 115th St. branch.

Comments

Popular Posts