Recent Monotypes

Stream in the Woods, 2015, monotype, image 6 x 8 inches, paper size unknown, Salmagundi Club Permanent Collection

I have been enjoying monotypes very much, and I also feel like I'm getting the hang of it.  In a way, the process reminds me of plein air painting because both require you to work fast to achieve the final image.  I remember telling myself back in college that I worked better under pressure.  Working with limited time is a challenge that can be a positive fuel to the creative process. With monotypes there is always a sense of suspense as well, because you can work on an image for x amount of time, but you still don't know how the print will turn out. Paper types, ink, etc. can effect the final product, and pulling the paper away from the plate after it's been rolled through the press can be an exhilarating experience. The image above was one of those nervous processes where I was trying different techniques to achieve mark making, and I was also trying to get a difficult image done in a shorter amount of time than usual. Nerves and hard work paid off, after printing this image, it was voted by fellow Salmagundi Club members into the club's Permanent Collection.  Now I can say I'm in public collection, and in the company of many great artists who have been part of the club's history. Hope you enjoy my latest output.

Untitled, 2015, monotype, image 6 x 8 inches, paper 8 1/2 x 11 inches


Montepulciano II, 2015, monotype, image 6 x 8 inches, paper 8 1/2 x 11 inches 


Montepulciano I, 2015, monotype, image 6 x 8 inches, paper 8 1/2 x 11 inches


Untitled, 2015, monotype (ghost print), image 6 x 8 inches, paper 7 1/2 x 11 inches


Stream in the Woods, 2015, monotype (ghost print), image 6 x 8 inches, paper 8 1/2 x 11 inches


Montepulciano II, 2015, monotype, image 6 x 8 inches, paper 8 1/2 x 11 inches 


Untitled, 2015, monotype, image 6 x 8 inches, paper 8 1/2 x 11 inches

Comments

Popular Posts