New Monotypes

Untitled, 2015, monotype, image 6 x 8 inches, paper 8 1/2 x 11 inches

These are the last monotypes of the year.  When I began attending the Salmagundi monotype parties in 2014 I had no idea that not only would my skill in the medium develop at such a fast pace, but I did not see this as permanent part of my artistic output.  These days I look forward to the monthly nights at the club when I could put my plate through the press and peel the paper away to reveal a new image.  

Approaching Rain, 2015, monotype, image 5 x 7 inches, paper 8 1/2 x 11 inches

Days leading up to the monotype parties at the Salmagundi Club there is an air of excitement, the gears in my brain kick in and a thousand images, imagined and seen, start to roll like an old movie reel.  I make thumbnail sketches to work out ideas, I usually don't like to walk in to printing nights blindly.  Like most things in my life, especially in art, I like to prepare ahead of time.  I take what I do very seriously because in the end it is an extension of myself and it is what's left of me after I leave this world.  All these creative juices going round and round in my head can't be kept to myself, tis the season to share joy after all, and so last week I brought my friend, painter Robert Szot, to the club to give monotype a try.  By the end of the night he was hooked, and by the next day it was all he could talk and think about, and just like me he's trying to figure out how to get a press.  I think I created a monster!  

Approaching Rain, 2015, monotype (ghost print), image 5 x 7 inches, 8 1/2 x 11 inches

In the new year I plan to keep making prints, perhaps try etching, or go back to lithography, which I was exposed to for a semester in college.  Although the monotypes have been received very well by many different people, painting will still remain my main focus.  More to come.   

Comments

Popular Posts