Sunday at the Park

Bennine Water Waterfall, 2018, oil on linen, 11 x 15 inches

Sunday at the Park was a great Broadway show, Jake Gyllenhaal did a great job playing the obsessed role of George Seurat, but this is not a post about that show.  I'm here to talk about my Sunday at the park (Prospect Park) experience and my own obsession with capturing this landscape. 


It's hard to believe this was my first time going out to paint this year.  There have been too many distractions in the weekends, I was beginning to get impatient about going out there to get some work done.  Finally I took my chance and blocked out this past Sunday as my painting day…no distractions please!


As always Charles joined me, unlike me this guy does not get distracted, he works hard and is constantly drawing and painting.  The idea was to paint a waterfall that was secluded from the main parts of Prospect Park, but upon finding the spot we were so angry to find out that the park has been fencing off many areas that used to be open, such as the little rivers and streams.  We made our way down following the water towards the main lake and found this spot with a lower fence.  We could set up right on the fence and be able to look over it.  This waterfall was smaller than the original one we intended to paint but it was nice none the less.
 

Sunday was a hot one, temperature reached almost 100 degrees and humidity was high.  It was so hot my oil paint was melting and running on the palette, there was no need for medium since the paint was liquifying.  But we are no strangers to this sort of climate and so we pushed along until about five in the afternoon.  I was able to cover most of the canvas by the time we were done.  The image above show the painting half way done, this may have been around 2pm. 


My handy dandy palette, how I have missed putting it to use.  It was like seeing an old friend without missing a beat. 


This is what I was able to get done in the five hour session.  Not bad considering the fact that I felt like I was melting.  Last night I stayed up late and finished this painting which you can see at the beginning of this post.  I can't wait to get back out there, stay tuned for more paintings.  

Comments

Popular Posts