Back to Monotype

 



I have been looking forward to this night for almost two and a half years.  The last night I took part of Salmagundi Monotype Party was in September 2019; I can't believe it has been that long.  A lot has changed in the world and in my personal life.  But no matter where life takes me I know that I will always find a way back to monotype.  


It was great to see old friendly faces on Tuesday March 1at the club, as well as taking in the smell of etching ink and burnt plate oil.  I've missed feeling the press as it applies pressure on the plate, the cranking of the handle, the roll of the bed, and pulling the paper away from the copperplate to reveal a new addition to my prints...will this one workout or not? The uncertainty of not knowing if the image will print the way you hope is exciting.   


As usual, my goal is to leave these sessions with three images, accompanied with their ghost prints.  I have been out practice, but I was very happy to find out that I was able to get back into it without missing a beat.  Perhaps my desire to print has been so pent up that it was all coming out at once, and I have never felt so sure about what I was doing like I did that night.


Three new prints have been added to my body of work, and three new ghost prints have been added to the pile in my studio, awaiting to get turned into drawings.  These monotype parties give me something to look forward to, they are like a lifeline in my art, as long as I'm able to get some prints done I know things will be alright.  Can't wait until next month's party, I have already purchased my ticket for the next one and the one after that.  Now I have to get some thumbnail sketcher ready for the next printing session.  

Comments

Popular Posts