Back to the League

 


In March I went back to the Art Students League as I enrolled in my first figure drawing class since 2011.  During lockdown of 2020 I went back to drawing the figure, but it was all through zoom meetings, which is a strange way of drawing the figure from "life."


My plan was to go back to life drawing that year, but the world came to a stop and that idea was put on hold.  It hasn't been until this year that I have been able to enroll in a figure drawing class, and I must say I have missed it. 


Currently I'm taking Jon DeMartin's class and it's going well.  He offers good advice, and although I'm in my second month, and a bit rusty, I can see improvements already.  


The drawing above is from March, this was a five session pose, and although it's not bad, it is a bit tight.  My aim is to become more loose with my drawing while still being exact with the forms.


I guess if I want to be more loose with my drawings I will have to ditch these super sharp pencils.


This month I tried drawing with chalk pencils and so far it seems to be working.  The drawing above is 90 minutes, I failed to get the whole figure in the page but the feeling is right.  It's hard for me to model with chalk pencils, so this attempt is fine with me.  The drawing below is 100 minutes and this time around I got the full figure on the paper and I seem to be getting a hang of the pencil.  Tomorrow I will continue working on this drawing, I'm looking forward to seeing how far I can push it.  Stay tuned, I will be sharing the final drawings soon. 


Comments

Popular Posts