Three Approaches to Painting

After last month's show I was invited back to show more pieces with two other artists at the I Gallery. I was very exited since this time I was going to show seven paintings, and we all know the more work you show the better it is. Things happened very quickly, I was aware of the this show since the beginning of September but didn't find out about the opening date until a week ago. I was freaking out because the work wasn't ready yet.
The paintings were done but the I still needed to get them ready for presentation. I had to attach hanging wire in the back of each and paint the sides of the canvases and panels so that they don't look messy as then hung on the wall. Two paintings' sides did not dry and when I brought them to the gallery to hang the curator and I were getting paint all over ourselves. We just laughed about it.
Opening was last night and not many people came, but no big deal. I was happy to see more work hang in a gallery. I got compliments on my work, my friend Scott Newcomb said, "Luis, once again you have out done every one in the show." Thank you Scott for those kind words, I know I would be out done by you if we ever show together.
Onion I, 2005; Onion III, 2006; Onion II, 2006; all oil on canvas, 7 x 6 inches

These are my babies, the smallest oil paintings I have ever done my favorite. These three pieces hold a very special place in my heart and I still don't know why. Maybe is because their size, they look so fragile I want to always protect them.

Vine Ripe Tomatoes, 2006, oil on panel, 9 x 9 inches

Onion on Dish, 2005, oil on canvas mounted on panel, 10 x 10 inches

These two paintings (above and bellow) were the trouble makers of the show. These are the guys that didn't dry. It was strange because the other paintings' sides were dry the next day and these two took three days, maybe even four since I didn't check last night if they were hanging dry or wet. Oh well, it's common practice for artists to turn in wet work.

Tomato, 2006, oil on canvas mounted on panel, 10 x 8 inches


Tomato on Green Dish, 2006, oil on panel, 8 x 9 inches

This painting was finished just in time for the show. I was planning on getting three paintings done but in a matter of three or two weeks I was only able to finish this tomato. I'm very happy with it since the color is a bit more bold.

This is the view of how my group of paintings hung in the gallery. Now that this show is already done it's time to move on to the next one. Anyone have any tips as to where to find show listings?

Comments

David said…
I LOVE the onion series! Nicely done -- congratulations -- sounds like you got some well deserved feedback.
Luis Colan said…
Thank you David, I love the onions as well. I did get a lot of positive feedback, which is always good, but sometimes I want to hear what went wrong, so that I could learn from it.
::Alejandro:: said…
Oh, I missed this post! Congratulations Luis, your paintings look so nice on a gallery wall. I agree, the onions are truly lovely.

Saludos!

Alejandro
Peru Food

Popular Posts