Sneak Peek

Trying something new didn't really work for this painting or for me. I thought Indigo Blue might bring a breath of fresh air to my work but I guess I was wrong. Before using the color I should have studied different mixtures that may have been suitable to the color harmony I was trying to achieve. But as always I skip steps and applied the paint blindly, all leading for me to crash on my face. Recovery time needed to be put into this piece that I have been working on for quite a while. Who knows, maybe I have been thinking about it too much and just needed to let loose. When in need of help I turn to my roots. Spanish painting has always been at the heart of my use of color since I first picked up a brush. It has always come natural to me, the use of earth tones in high contrast to the subject. That influence is at its highest point at this moment. Since moving to the city I was exposed, through the amazing collection of the Met Museum, to great Spanish painters like Velazquez, Murillo, Ribera, and Goya. But it wasn't until the past couple of weeks, after seeing the Guggenheim show "Spanish Painting from El Greco to Picasso: Time, Truth, and History," that it was made very clear to me that this aesthetic is my identity. No matter how much history I learn and to how many different styles and schools I'm exposed to I will never shake off the brown tones. Now that I have figured out the direction of this painting my focus will be to give it that Spanish feel but keep it modern. Problem one resolved, now moving to problem two.

Comments

Popular Posts