Watercolor Landscapes

Landscape Study 1, 2013, watercolor on paper, 5 1/4 x 8 inches
In exactly twenty days I'll be on my way to the beautiful Italia! Yes I'm counting the days, hours, minutes, and the seconds; that's how excited I am about this trip. I'll be staying in the town of Cortona in the Tuscan region, not too far from Florence. During my stay of nine days I'll be taking part of painting workshop, my focus there will be plein air painting in watercolor. Now you see where I'm going with this post?

Landscape Study 2, 2013, watercolor on paper, 6 3/4 x 10 inches
I have been practicing my watercolor technique since last fall, that's when I decided to take this trip. I don't like to go into things blindly, I often prepare myself far in advanced so that I can make the most out of situations and opportunities. Two years ago I prepared myself most of the spring working on oil plein air painting because I had been chosen to take part of a plein air painting competition in Long Island. I made over twenty little landscapes that summer, the most I've ever done in such a small period of time. This time I'm working with watercolor, and little by little I'm becoming more comfortable. The two landscapes above are from imagination, they are visions of what I hope I'll be seeing in person soon. Getting myself prepared does not stop in letting watercolor run all over the paper, two months ago I also enrolled to take Italian classes. La lingua Italiana e un po difficile, ma molto bella!  

Goose Rocks Beach, 2013, watercolor on paper, 6 3/4 x 10 inches
If I can't imagine it, I use vacation photos as inspiration. Again the aim here is not to create the most amazing works of art that Mary Boone is gone come knocking at my door for, this is all simply educational so that when I'm faced with beautiful scenery in every direction I am prepared to record it quickly and effectively. 

 Pumpkin Patch, 2013, watercolor on paper, 6 3/4 x 10 inches
It's taken me many years to get to Italy, it really is a dream come true and I can't imagine a better way than to do it with my two college professors Fred Wessel and Jeremiah Patterson, both amazing artists. I plan on getting straight to work when I get there, I know that when I come back I will have a lot of material to work from in the studio. As I am told by friends, this will be a life changing experience!

Riviera Maya Storm, 2013, watercolor on paper, 6 3/4 x 10 inches
For more information on painting workshops in Italy with Fred and Jeremiah please visit their site Workshops in Italy

Comments

Popular Posts