Metro Card Paintings, The Finale

Tree at Daylight, 2017, oil on metro card, 3 3/8 x 2 1/8 inches

My three paintings for Single Fare 4 are completed and submitted.  It was fun working on them and they served as a good way of working out ideas and approach for other paintings.  For starters I'm working mostly from imagination these days, and it works for me when only dealing with it in drawings or monotypes.  Color is a whole different thing, you can't fake it, everything has to fall into place and look natural.  When work began on these metro cards I hoped I could achieve what I have with my works on paper in color.  

Tree at Dusk, 2017, oil on metro card, 3 3/8 x 2 1/8 inches

In the beginning I wanted do a good job with these in hopes to stand out from the crowd of talented artists who will be exhibiting, but soon as I had all three cards on the easel and began work they started to come alive.  Ideas started coming and it was more about challenging myself and meeting my expectations and vision. 

Tree at Moonlight, 2017, oil on metro card, 3 3/8 x 2 1/8 inches

The biggest challenge was to paint my very first night-scape, or nocturne, and as it turns out it was not as hard as I thought!  With this painting I'm ready to develop a new group of paintings I've had brewing in my mind but never had the nerve to start.  I think it's time to make paintings of all those dark, moody monotypes.
Single Fare 4 opens on Saturday Sept. 16, 5 - 10pm. at Highline Stages - 441 West 14th St. NYC.
Exhibition will be on view Sunday Sept. 17, 12 - 6pm., hope you all can make it.  

Comments

Popular Posts