Recent Paintings

Autumn Sunset, 2017, oil on linen mounted on panel, 12 x 12 inches 

Painting has been slow recently, mostly because I've been stuck on a rut about trying to figure out the purpose of my work.  To say that I'm bored with it sounds terrible, but at this point I need a new direction, I need to figure out what's the next step but nothing comes to mind.  I'm not pushing it too much, it will come to me as I keep working.  The only thing that I can say is that by looking at the paintings completed this year I can see growth when it comes to execution.  I hate the word realism, or when people say "oh looks like a photo," that is not my intent because photos are flat.  I do see a more detailed way of handling the paint, and the funny thing is that I'm not striving for detail.  I'm actually moving around more paint than before, sometimes blobing and sculpting it.  The paint application seems to be getting thicker, this is due to my switch to hog bristle brushes which I am loving.    
 
By the Lake, Prospect Park, 2017, oil on linen, 10 x 15 inches 

Another little change has been the introduction of Cobalt Blue to my palette.  I've used this color in the past, I'm not new to it, but never to this extent.  Also, Ultramarine Blue has been my go to color for everything.  I'm using it in mixtures to achieve my darks, slowly moving away from using black which I only used sparingly to begin with.   

Overcast Day at Hyland, 2017, oil on linen mounted on panel, 14 x 11 inches 

I have been looking at the Impressionists more, their color sensibility and paint handling seems to speak more to me than earlier landscape schools.  Don't get me wrong, I love Constable, Corot, and painters from the Barbizon school but the Impressionists have that modern element that is still relevant to contemporary painters.   

Spring in Goodwin, 2017, oil on linen mounted on panel, 11 x 14 inches 

Speaking of Impressionist, earlier this spring I was able to catch the Alfred Sisley exhibition at the Bruce Museum in Connecticut.  His work left my friend Charles and I banging our heads against the wall saying "damn this guy!"  The show was inspiring for us both, which I believe has directed me into this new way of seeing and using color.  
 
Summer Reflections, Prospect Park, 2017, oil on linen, 10 x 15 inches 

Funny, here I am talking about looking for a new direction in my work and it seems I have already found it, I just didn't realize it! I just needed to write about it for it to become clear.  Color, color, color, that's what I need to focus on more.  I think we are on to something...back to the easel! 

Comments

Wes Mcgrath said…
Nice share, thanks for posting

Popular Posts