My Release

In the fall of 2001 I took my first step towards abstraction. At that point I rejected any idea that art could be non objective, conceptual, or free from any reference to the physical world. I decided one night to pick up my brushes and tackle a canvas to see what would come of it. I thought that by smearing paint on the surface I would have a finished product, an abstract painting. I was wrong. After putting my work up for a critique I found out that it wasn't as easy as it appeared to be. I was determined to get it right and started to rework the painting. I was hooked! I was pleased with the final piece, and decided to start a second one. Soon, I had gone from representation to abstraction.
It wasn't until 2003 when I finally found a style that worked for me. The last series of abstractions became large and very free. This new method of working was the release I had been waiting for all my life. It helped me to become loose, and to work the picture as a whole. These last paintings were inspired by the legacy of the abstract expressionists, mainly Rothko and Color Field painter Frankenthaler.
St. John the Baptist, 2003, oil on canvas, 72 x 62 inches
Still Life, 2003, oil on canvas, 40 x 40 inches
(private collection)

Canto Gitano, 2004, oil on canvas, 24 x 58 inches
(private collection)

Lessons with Matisse, 2004, oil on canvas, 60 x 54 inches

Concierto de Violines, 2004, oil on canvas, 60 x 52 inches

Comments

Anonymous said…
WHOA! These are HOT HOT HOT! Very interesting story too
Luis Colan said…
hi, thanks for responding Coco! Oil painting can be tricky at times but you know what they say: "practice makes perfect.", or at least better!

Luis
ming said…
damn this kid is good
Luis Colan said…
thanks for that ming! You've given me a boost, reason why I'm getting off the computer now and heading over to my easel to paint.
Thanks!
Luis
Anonymous said…
Publish or perish! I'm waiting...What's happening...has new guy started yet

Popular Posts