Painting Process

Some one requested that I should show the process of painting a still life. I had thought about this before but didn't go for it thinking no one would be interested. But after the request by a fellow blogger I decided to do it and have fun with it. There are many things that go into a painting before work on it begins. I invest ample time in preparing my supports and painting space. This first part of the Painting Process series will be about my studio space.



The Studio
My "studio" is a small area in my studio apartment which I share with my partner. I have gotten used to painting in small corners. When I was living with my parents my painting space was a corner, in college my painting space was a corner of the big senior studio space, and now once again I paint in a corner. The studio space, no matter how big or small should be kept clean and organized. These things do show in the final product. I tend to keep all my mediums in one area, and my paints are stored by color category in the drawers of a small rolling cabinet. Keeping my materials in designated areas and within reach makes it easier to find them as I paint. Some may think this is fussy but I feel that if I'm serious about my work, I need to give it the respect and attention it deserves.

Comments

Luis Colan said…
Thanks for the compliment.
The pictures on the walls are postcards. I have been collecting museum postcards for the past year and a half and put them up for inspiration. The two bottom rows of postcards are of Mark Rothko, one of my favorites of all time. The top two rows, which are not visable in the picture are of Vermeer. I love Vermeer's use of light!

Luis
Luis Colan said…
Mark Rothko is amazing. I think the best american painter ever, after John Singer Sargent.

Luis

Popular Posts