The Painter's Studio

My current painting space in my tiny NYC apt.

During the fall semester of my senior year in college I gave photography a shot. Not knowing what I was getting my self into I opted to always relate photo with painting. The following images are of the studio spaces in the Senior Studio at the Hartford Art School. Through the lens of the camera I discovered that there was something aesthetically pleasing about the way some of the painting spaces looked. I was fixated with blobs of paint on work tables, brushes dipped in turps and tubes of paint squeezed to the last drop. My painting teacher once said that she thought that the idea of an artist working alone in the studio was very humbling, and I had agreed with it but had never really experienced that kind of a feeling until I was left alone to work in the senior studio. I walk around the room and took these images, all inspired by the act of creation that my fellow painters left for me to witness.









Parkville Art Studios, Hartford, CT




Comments

Parisbreakfasts said…
Beautiful black & whites! I liked my photo better...hmmm
Luis Colan said…
Thank you. I was not able to use your photo because the file was too big, even with the small one you sent. I had to scan an old picture of mine.
Anonymous said…
Very evocative photos...I love that they're in black & white
Luis Colan said…
I know what you mean Coco!
I love these images. I always look through them to remind me of the good ol' days of art school. It was a great experience!

Luis

Popular Posts