Food for Thought

Apple and Oranges, 2008, oil on linen, 7 x 8 inches
This is the second painting I accomplished while visiting Hartford during the weekend. I went back to an organic subject matter, but that's okay. I'm not sure how I feel about this painting, at times I like what I did and then at times I feel like there's something missing. But that's the positive aspect of making these painted sketches, they are only studies. They are not meant to be masterpieces, the main idea is to relax and explore technique, color, composition, etc. What I can't figure out is how come I'm able to have a certain paint quality in these studies, that I enjoy very much, and not have it translate to the "show pieces"? I do admit I get a little too uptight and precious with my regular paintings, I am very aware of the problem and I do push myself to get more paint on the surface but somehow I end up with smooth surfaces. Something to keep working on I guess!

Comments

Popular Posts