Portraits

I have always been scared of painting portraits or the figure. Doing this kind of work requires so much understanding of the human anatomy and also a connection to the sitter. Good portraiture happens when the artist not only captures the likeness of the person being painted but they also capture their character. My first attempt at portrait painting was last year, and I was pleased with the outcome. I guess it was a case of beginners luck. Since then, I decided to start a bigger portrait, which at one point I thought it was finished but decided to re-work it since there was something unconvincing about it. Steve in Yellow is a project that is taking some time to complete, I'm close to being finished with it but I'm not rushing it. I want it to come out just right!

Steve, 2005, oil on canvas, 19 x 16 inches

Steve in Yellow (in progress), 2005-2006, oil on canvas, 36 x 30 inches

Comments

Luis Colan said…
thank you, that's nice to hear.

luis

Popular Posts