Preview Party at the National Academy

On Thursday night I had the chance to attend a Preview Party at the National Academy School of Art in 5th Ave. & 89th St. Carol said that I should go, that it would be good for me to see what others are doing. Not knowing what to expect I attended hesitantly. What I found was a beautiful building from the golden age of old New York City. Inside, rooms were hung wall to wall with paintings and drawings. It was a hot crowded night, but every one was pleased to be there.
Sculpture by Eun Nye Yang

Pamela Fenwick, Carin, 2006, watercolor on paper

I walked through the first room, full of people trying to get a close look at the work on the walls. I passed through and saw a beautiful watercolor by Pamela Fenwick. I thought it was a great composition and the green she used made my jaw drop. This was a piece with simple strokes of color making up a complex image. Walking to the next room I was overtaken by a group of sculptures by Eun Nye Yang. This artist knew what she was doing. The pieces were all about the motion of the human figure. All of them were full of life and intensity. Even at standing poses the sculptures looked heroic. The sample above was the best of them all. This figure is dynamic.

Benat Iglesias Lopez, Self Portrait, 2006, oil on canvas

Finally I walked to the last room, the biggest one in the show. Paintings all over the place and although they were good nothing stuck out. Most of the work hanging looked like what I had seen at my school and in other art schools' catalogs. Looking at painting after painting I started to get impatient because nothing hit me over the head and made me say wow! That is until I was ready to leave and as I got close to the door I saw this large portrait by Benat Iglesias Lopez. At that point I wanted to drop on my knees and say "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!" The guy knows how to paint. This canvas was full of painterly awesomeness. Strokes going in every direction with interruptions of texture left by the brush. There were thick applications of paint in some areas, scratches, and in some others pure softness. I was amazed at this painting and at the talent of this artist. It turns out that I had seen two other pieces by him in the room and had loved them as well without knowing they were by the same hand. But it was his Self Portrait that took the prize that night!


Skyline of the West Side from Central Park Reservoir

It was time to go home shortly after, but not until I got a look at the reservoir in Central Park. I love this park, even though I don't spend much time in it. I have made a promise to myself that this summer I will try to get there as much as I can. It was not a bad start. The sun was coming down and the light reflecting on the water was out of a romantic movie. It was a great view. After walking some more I came across the Met. This is my favorite place in the whole world. At least for now since I haven't had the chance to visit the Louvre. I have been to the Met. so many times I'm quite familiar with which paintings hang in which room. What can I say, it's one amazing place full of the most breath taking art in the world. It was a hot humid night, but I didn't mind my little stroll on 5th Ave that night. I got to see the Met. in its evening glory!

The Metropolitan Museum of Art at 82nd St. and 5th Ave.

Site seeing wasn't over yet. Right before getting into the 6 subway station this gorgeous church greeted me and bid me good night!

Church at Lexington Ave. and 76 St.

Comments

Luis Colan said…
Thanks. I enjoyed writing this entry so much that I'm thinking of doing a few more.

luis

Popular Posts