My Sanctuary

After moving to New York I made it a habit to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art at least once a month. I have kept that promise and after so many visits I still can't get enough. The Met is a huge museum, so I tend to stick to the European galleries on the second floor. The art of 16th and 17th century Europe is of great influence to my work, and seeing these paintings often is the fuel that keeps me going. After long weeks of work and other personal issues going to the Met is like a cleansing trip. It is here where I hide away from everyone and focus on the art. It is a learning place and my own personal cathedral.

The main stairs leading to the second floor from the main lobby.

The Tiepolo Gallery, here you see a recent purchase. The Penitent Magdalene by Corrado Giaquinto. When I walked into this gallery Guiaquinto's painting was the first thing I noticed because I knew I hadn't seen this painting hanging before. So many trips to this museum I already know which paintings always hang in what room and which might be knew or pulled out from storage.


Museum visitor standing in front of the Poussin wall.

View of the Rubens and Van Dyck gallery.

Spanish painting gallery with works by Velazquez, Murillo, and Ribera.

17th century Italian painting gallery

Rubens and Van Dyck gallery #2, this wall features Van Dyck.

17th century Italian painting gallery #2, what I call the Caravaggio room, with four works by this master.

Comments

Luis Colan said…
ah yes, the wall colors ni the museum are just amazing. Every time I go there and look at the walls I start to think about painting my own apartment with the same colors. And the colors look very good with the paintings!

luis
Anonymous said…
The Met is one of my healing places also. You'll find me with the Impressionists, and then down in the 20th century wing.

Thanks for these beautiful photos.
Luis Colan said…
Yes, the Met is a great place, I love the whole museum, I forgot to mention that I alos go to the 19th century galleries which is mostly French art. I love the Manet room and Corot as well.
Thank you for dropping by!

Luis

Popular Posts