A Painting a Day

Orange, 2006, oil on canvas panel, 6 x 8 inches
About half a year ago, maybe more, I was introduced to Duane Keiser's work. Instantly I was amazed by it. His colors were very sensitive and his sense of honesty was present in each small painting. I could not believe that this guy was creating such great work everyday since 2004 and posting it on his blog. I've always asked myself "how does he do it?" I was jealous that there was some one out there not only working on his art everyday but that each day he would complete a piece. I started to curse my full time job, my bills, and every thing else that requires money. I felt all these things were getting in the way. But not any more. I decided to stop complaining and bought some inexpensive canvas panel. I was not planning on starting to paint on them until I finished the Red Cabbage painting I've been working on for so long. Tonight, after getting home from a nice dinner I decided to paint for a little while. Didn't feel like slaving away on Red Cabbage, so I went to the refrigerator and picked up a small orange. The rest is history. I was able to do a painting in one sitting. I'm not sure if I'm going to be doing this every day, but more often in between other projects.
I'm very happy with this painting, not because it was accomplished in one night but because I got to have fun with it, not being precious about my materials and because the treatment of paint is very loose. Becoming more painterly is my goal and it seems like the more I paint the more tight my work becomes. But after tonight I think I'm going to be more loose. Wish me luck!

Comments

Darren Maurer said…
That looks great.
Luis Colan said…
thank you both, I'm very exhited, I'm thinking of doing another painting later on tonight.

luis
Pilan said…
Luis good for you!! keep it up. Duane has been a many inspiration to many artists.

Pilan

Popular Posts