Pucker Up!

I have been working with Robert Zeller in his Brooklyn studio since early fall. The goal is to fine tune my drawing skills and to learn how to see things a little better. For starters I will be doing a couple of cast drawings. First on the list is this set of lips from Michelangelo's David.
The idea behind the style he's teaching me is to build the many layers of this drawing little by little, somewhat like a painting. Robert studied under Jacob Collins, and now he's passing that knowledge to me. I first heard of Jacob Collins in high school, when I ran into an article about him on American Artists magazine. It talked about him and his Water Street Atelier in Brooklyn. I loved his work and wanted to study with him. Time and circumstances took me in another direction, but now I'm learning from him via Robert. I think this is a pretty good deal.
The drawing above is almost done, a few high lights with white chalk needs to be added to make this mouth pop.

Comments

Popular Posts