Size Matters!

Let's get our minds out of the gutter for a second! I'm talking about the size of paintings. For a while I have been debating the importance of size in works of art. Does it always have to be big for it to get noticed or for it to be taken serious? I used to paint in large formats, but it was because the style I was working with looked better large. My still lifes have been small since the beginning, and I've kept them that way because I love the intimacy they bring forth when being viewed, but that's changing. I'm being forced, in a way, to paint larger.
Woodward Gallery got in touch with me the other morning, and they wanted to include me in a project they have with Gourmet Garage. I will be given a show to hang in the seven windows of the fancy food store. I have a lot of work, but not big enough to fill seven windows that require a 24 x 36 inch piece each. This means that I have to come up with a number of larger pieces in five weeks. Yes, work is supposed to go up the first week of March!
Two nights ago I started this 18 x 24 inch still life. The first image is from the first night of work, the second is last night's progress. Not visible in the pictures but the work I did last night was a lot. This is the first of a number of attempts to come up with a new body of work, in a way. I'll be working non stop from now until then. We'll see if I can do this!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Of course you can do it, Luis. You know how many works you have to do, the number of days, you will be done in enough time to pick and choose. I have total faith in your talent AND your mastery of deadlines. Go get em!

Best Always, Robert Hoover

Popular Posts