Three Studies

Garlic, 2010, oil on canvas, 6 x 6 inches
Here they are, the last three paintings for the upcoming Gourmet Garage show. These three studies will complete a grid of sixteen PAD (Painting a day) paintings from the past. Forming a 24 x 24 inch grid of still lifes, the group will take up the space of one window.
Tomato Study II, 2010, oil on canvas, 6 x 6 inches
I haven't worked on these 1 hour studies for a year, and trying to get back into it was a bit hard, especially when using paint that's more wet than what I'm used to. For these I decided to try new paint, M. Graham & Co.'s walnut based colors, and Schmincke's Mussini line of paints.
Tomato Wedge, 2010, oil on canvas, 6 x 6 inches
I find it difficult to work with Graham paint, it's just too runny, and for this alla prima style of work I need something with more body. That's why I love using Williamsburg and Old Holland. Schmincke's Mussini has a good body, but I don't feel right working with paint that has dammar included in the binder. I remember talking to a conservator years ago, and he said that if artist could do without using dammar in the painting process all the better. Dammar darkens, and according to this conservator, who works for the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, is the leading cause of old master paintings' discoloring. It's alright if dammar is used as a varnish, since the layer sits atop the paint and it can be removed. But once dammar is in the paint film there's not much one can do. I hope Schmincke knows what they're doing and that their paint won't darken over time.

Comments

Popular Posts