All Them Trees

Leaning Tree, 2009, ball point pen in moleskine sketchbook
I once drew a tree on a bus ride from Connecticut to New York. This tree was an imaginary tree, it was something that came to my head on that boring and bumpy ride. I wanted to see how well I could capture images from my head. That tree sparked a series of other imaginary trees in my sketchbook. The one above turned out to be a bit more scary than I wanted, but I do like how it feels like it's moving.
Tree II, 2009, ball point pen in moleskine sketchbook
This tree reminds of the fairy tale kind, it almost seems too perfect and static. Not so sure where I was going with this one but it exist in my sketchbook.
Tree III, 2010, ball point pen in moleskine sketchbook
This tree was not done completely from imagination. When I was out jogging in Astoria park one night, a tree caught my eye. I studied it while I was stretching, as it leaned towards the running track. It's delicate curve and downward movement attracted me to it.
Union Square Tree, 2010, ball point pen in moleskine sketchbook
I know that trees in real life are more complex than the ones I have been drawing. Their shapes are more delicate and more alive. New York might be a concrete jungle, but through out the city beautiful trees can be seen in parks and residential streets. The one above is from Union Square Park, a busy area with college students, merchants, artists, street performers and tourists.

Comments

Popular Posts