Goodbye Manhattan, Hello Brooklyn!

Trevor, 2011, graphite on paper, 15 x 11 inches
No I'm not moving, I don't even live in Manhattan, but I have stopped attending the Art Students League in exchange for the Teaching Studios of Art in Brooklyn. I have been taking drawing and painting lessons from Robert Zeller since the summer of 2009, and since then his small studio is growing into an atelier with more classes and faculty during the week. I enrolled at the League last summer to be in a different atmosphere, it was a no brainer since the school was closer to my apartment and classes were very inexpensive; but things aren't always as good as they may appear. Leaving the Art Students League was not very hard, after trying in out for a few months things weren't really working out for me. I wasn't getting the instruction I wanted, classes were jam packed with students, which makes it hard for instructors to spend more than five minutes with each one per session. This month I have been in Brooklyn working on figure drawing, and it has been great. Number one, I'm guaranteed a spot, and number two, I get more instruction. The drawing above was completed in about 21 hours. From this 1 month pose I have learned so much. Next week we'll start on a new pose, and I can't wait to see the results.

Comments

Popular Posts