Farewell Atlantic!

Welcome to Atlantic Book Shop, a cozy little used and rare book shop located in Brooklyn Heights/Cobble Hill, Brooklyn. I found out about this place a while back after their move from downtown Manhattan, and since I've been wanting to visit and rummage through the stacks but, as many New Yorkers will know, you only go into Manhattan and back to the neighborhood you live in. Living in Astoria, Queens, the thought of making a hike down to Brooklyn on a day of can bee a little too much to ask for.
This week I had to get myself together and go and see for myself what this place is about. Most of the reason for finally getting there is because I found out this wonderful shop will close it's doors at the end of the month, and all books are at 30% off. Not bad for a place with a great selection of books at an already low price.
I was in a candy store, my hands were all over the stacks pulling books from left and right, eventually I made a stack of my own which had to be carefully looked over with discriminating eyes to whittle it down to the must haves. Luckily there were little circular rolling stools for one to sit on for this kind of occasion.
With titles under art, music, theater, film, poetry, psychology, cooking, etc. there sure is something special to please any one and every one.
Rare books? Sure they have them, even this beautiful Italian nine volume collection of Vasari's Lives of the Artists. Believe me I was tempted to spend the $100 on this collection, but I don't speak Italian and neither do I have the space for them, besides, I had my own collection going on another shelf near by.
Still can't get enough? Around the corner you will find more and more books ready to tickle your brain!

I thought I was done after I picked seven art books, but as I walked deeper in the shop more books caught my attention. One of those books was this one of sonnets. I had to leave it behind, my wallet and arms could not take any more of the stress!
Some of the vintage books available were so delicate, I was afraid to pull them from the shelf. Such was the case with the ones above and some other large size books that seemed straight out of the 17th century!
Don't wait too long to visit this piece of NY history, many similar places are closing their doors due to the economy, the take over of technology, and to big name chains. Atlantic Book Shop is located at 179 Atlantic Ave (between Clinton & Court streets), Brooklyn, NY 11201

Comments

Popular Posts