Not Slaking, Just Concentrating

Work has been going steady on my most recent still life. Multiple layers have been applied to the background, changing it from a cool light blue to a light grey, off white color. Man was that blue hard to tone down! I think I finally have the light as close as I originally pictured it, I may work some more areas of the background to see how far I can push it. As you can see there are no onions or tomatoes any where in the picture, now that's a change. Although my use of color is similar throughout my still life paintings, this one is a bit more mutted. I think not having a pop of bright red in the shape of a tomato is making this still life feel different. I still have a lot of work to do but I think I'm heading in the right direction. Other things going on in the studio are not as exciting, well at least not in the creative way. I have been stretching and preparing more linen, I'm getting ready for spring and summer plein air painting. My goal is to paint more than the twenty landscapes I painted last year. Time will tell on that one. Other still life ideas keep brewing every week, I'm pacing myself, but I have a feeling I may have a creative explosion soon and start a few paintings all at once. More to come.

Comments

Popular Posts