Work Continues

Started work on this painting in July, shortly after I got back from Italy. I was inspired to paint and dove right into this canvas which was patiently awaiting my return. The subject matter is not Italian, actually it's Reed Creek from Asheville, North Carolina. This image has been on my mind for a few years and it was time to get started. Above is an image of my first session, lots of loose drawing with burnt sienna and burnt umber. 
Session two, more drawing and figuring out the composition. Also adding more darks in the foreground, already early on I'm starting to look for a little drama in the light. 
Finally started putting down color, mostly earth tones, the usual players, yellow ochre, verona green earth, burnt sienna and burnt umber. Still keeping it loose and trying to get a feel for it. 
Time to add more chromatic colors, my favorite part and also the scary part. The plan is to alternate layers of high key colors and knocking them down with earth tones. 
No turning back now, sap green in different mixtures has been added and nerves start to kick in. This is starting to look like something out of the stage of Wicked! 
More layers tonight, developing the background and middle ground. The painting is looking very green with a few areas glazed down with a mixture of yellow ochre and burnt sienna. Took this photo in sepia to help me see the tonal range. I'm not going to lie, I like this a lot, plan is to achieve this moodiness with color. Wish me luck as work continues. 

Comments

Popular Posts