New Paintings

Ball Fields in North Meadow, 2014, oil on linen, 10 x 12 inches

These are four new, small paintings started on site and finished mostly in the studio. It seems like I'm back to painting buildings, which I have stayed away from for two years. Not sure why I shied away from it, but this summer I was back at it and to be honest I think I'm getting better and it adds something more interesting to the paintings. I am a contemporary painter after all and why not show contemporary life in my work.
The Hudson from Fort Tryon, 2014, oil on linen, 9 x 12 inches

Aside from painting more buildings I have also noticed that my color sense has changed since I started working in plein air. There was more brown in my greens, everything seemed more earthy, but since last year my use of color has opened up more. Everything is more chromatic, another welcome change I would say, since many of the paintings I have been enjoying looking at have been by amazing colorists and I would like to think that they are rubbing off on me.
The Cloisters, 2014, oil on linen, 8 1/2 x 12 inches

Sheep Meadow, 2014, oil on linen, 8 1/8 x 12 1/2 inches

Comments

Popular Posts