New Plein Air: Warm December Day

Warm December Day, 2015, oil on linen, 10 x 14 inches 

It has been unseasonably warm, this past weekend temperatures in New York reached the mid to high sixties. That's spring weather when you think about it, and when warm weather comes around you dust off the old portable easel and painting gear and head out to enjoy what global warming has to offer.  I wish I was built to withstand the cold, if that was the case I would spend most of the fall painting outdoors, even in winter I would go out and paint.  As a South American I am built for heat and sun, which is too bad because the fall can offer an amazing array of colors that can make some good paintings. That said, I enjoyed the sixty five degree weather on Saturday at Central Park. I was able to work with a different color palette of muted greys that forced me to see and work differently.  Toning down color and still making it sing is very difficult, and I hope that I achieved some of that in this painting.  Never the less, I'm happy with this one, and I am crossing my fingers for another warm weekend soon. 

Comments

Popular Posts