New Plein Air Paitings

Prospect Park Lake, Three Islands, 2016, oil on linen, 10 x 16 inches 

These two paintings are from June, and I'm finally getting around to posting them.  Lots of going on during the first half of this year which has prevented me from doing much painting, but things are slowing down and I'm getting back into the groove.  This painting (above) is another one from Prospect Park, Brooklyn, a place I'm enjoying to explore.  This part of the park was ideal, it reminded me of something Monet would have painted.  Not that I'm comparing myself to such a genius, but if you come across something Monet would have enjoyed painting then why the hell not give it a shot?  It turns out I'm very happy with this piece, and I may go back to the same area and make a few more paintings.  There are some grander views of the lake if you were to move back from this spot and look towards the right.

On a Cloudy Summer Day, Olivebridge, 2016, oil on linen, 9 x 12 inches 

As always, this view in Olivebridge never gets old!  There are so many colors in this area and they keep changing as the day progresses.  Just like in this painting the clouds above float in such a majestic way, sometimes they seem to come down and engulf the mountain to the point that it becomes invisible.  The different qualities of light according to the seasons changes the color of the mountains.  Sometimes they are an intense blue, other times earthy orange with lavender, then deep grey on rainy days, and on a day like this one the mountains were a crisp blue green.  It's hard not to keep painting this scene when it is constantly providing so much inspiration.  I'll be back there in two weeks, can't wait to see what other surprises this mountain has for me.  More to come.

Comments

Popular Posts