January Monotypes

Arbolado XIII, 2017, monotype, image 8 x 6 inches, paper 11 x 8 1/2 inches 

These three prints are the most recent of my monotypes, all created at Salamagundi's Monotype Party of January 5.  As with all of my prints, I'm always proud and happy with the outcome, but this group of three perhaps more so.  I'm starting to see growth in the execution, and I'm beginning to see my admiration for the Tonalists come through.  Perhaps this is why people have been responding positively to this body of work, they always reference the moody and mysterious qualities of these landscapes.   
 
Menacing Sky, 2017, monotype, image 6 x 8 inches, paper 8 1/2 x 11 inches 

At first I was uneasy to hear the praise of these prints over my paintings.  It was upsetting to hear that the work that I was doing prior to the monotypes was not as good, and as a painter, it hurt to hear people say "I like your monotypes better."  I may as well just put away my brushes and not touch a canvas again.  It doesn't bother me as much anymore, I've learned to accept it and in the end I can see what everyone's been seeing.  

Moonrise, 2017, monotype, image 6 x 8 inches, paper 8 1/2 x 11 inches 

I'm not giving up on painting though, I just have to approach it differently with what I've learned with printing.  It's strange having this dual personality though, because when I paint I love to see color, things are brighter; but the monotypes are what they are, black ink that can only be seen as dark silhouettes on a dark day. 

Comments

Popular Posts