Recent Drawings

Untitled, 2017, graphite on paper, 14 1/2 x 6 inches 

These are three drawings completed in July.  As with all the tree drawings from earlier in the year I keep exploring compositions I arrive at almost by chance.  After toning the paper, loosely with some sort of dry media, usually the powder remains after sharpening my pencils on sandpaper blocks, I begin to work with some of the random shapes that appear.  From there I carve out the image and let things happen as I go.    

Untitled, 2017, genuine sepia ink, pastel, and pen on paper, 14 1/2 x 6 inches 

I like to mix different elements in the drawing to create depth.  In the drawing above I used Genuine Sepia Ink, an item not found in regular art supply stores.  Genuine Sepia comes from the ink pouch of the cuttlefish, which it releases when it feels threaten.  The pigment is made by extracting the ink from the fish and letting it dry.  The dried ink is then ground up into a powder which is then used in different binders to create various types of paint.  If you would like to get your hands on Genuine Sepia, either in powder or in ink form, call Kremer Pigments.   

Untitled, 2017, graphite and pastel on paper, 14 1/2 x 6 inches 

No Sepia here, just old your old fashion graphite pencil and pastel.  Unlike the drawing with ink, the graphite creates a more subtle contrast, almost like mist.  So far I'm only drawing with a limited range of materials but I am beginning to get some ideas on mixing other things on different types of papers.  Nothing has been started yet but things are brewing.  Stay tuned for more. 

Comments

Popular Posts