"Sketchbook Vol 1" the Opening, Part 2

Sketchbook by Guno Park

Happy Monday to you! Hope every one is having a great start to their week staying warm, and if you are somewhere warm then I'm very jealous.


I would like to share with you today some photos from opening night of Sketchbook Vol 1, which took place on Saturday Jan. 19.  Can't believe how fast time is flying by.  It was such a fun afternoon, and the crowd was steady during the full four hours. 

Sketchbook by Marshal Jones

There was so much to see within the pages of each sketchbook, and visitors were loving it all.  I had to wait until the very end of the evening to be able to go through some of the books and take some quick snap shots.


This young lady and a group of us were drooling over Vi Luong's sketches, the amount of detail and precision he can get in the small spaces he works in is jut incredible.  Each line was perfectly calculated, something that would make most of us go crazy while doing it, but it seem like for Vi this might just be the most relaxing thing he can do.

Sketchbook by Paul Heaston

I was also very happy to see Paul Heaston's sketchbook.  I have been following his work on Instagram for a long time and was very excited when I found out we would be in the same show together.  He really is phenomenal.

Sketchbook by Evan Kitson

Evan Kitson's sketchbook was like looking at da Vinci's notebooks with all of its' writing and anatomical drawings.  Sketchbooks are a very private thing to artists, and out of the lot on display at Sugarlift, this one is the most personal.

Sketchbook by Marshal Jones

Marshal Jones is another incredible artists who I have had the chance to see his work in New York at multiple shows.  Can this guy paint flesh or what? .

Sketchbook by Paul Heaston


Sketchbook by Guno Park

Anther very talented artist I have been following on Instagram for years is Guno Park, a draftsman like no other.  His sketchbooks are a treat, like the fold out books with continuous scenes of subway stations, trains, and riders (see the first image above).  Guno not only is capable of capturing the likeness of his NYC subjects with a few dashes of his pen, but he can also capture their soul and humanity, not a simple feat to do. 

Sketchbook by Vi Luong

I mentioned Vi Luong's sketchbook earlier, this image is a closer look at one of his drawings.  Now do you see what I was talking about?  Even his writing is precise!

Sketchbook by Ted Schmidt

Closing out this post with Ted Schmidt, who I have never had the chance to meet or even see his work in person.  I was aware of his paintings when I was in high school, back then Artists Magazine had done a story on him and I thought his work was extraordinary.  I wanted to study with him right then and there but I was only 16/17 and was confined to the walls of that school until graduation.  Also I was in Connecticut, which for a young person with no car or licence, NYC is worlds away.  It's nice to have come full circle though and to have been included in the same show with him has been an honor.


Sketchbook Vol 1 will view on view until Feb. 8 by appointment only.  Contact Sugarlift to see this exhibition.

Comments

Maria del Valle said…
Si, realmente hay gente muy talentosa, gracias por mostrar!

Popular Posts