Recent(ish) Paintings

Autumn, Composition in Gold, 2019, oil on line mounted on panel, 8 x 6 inches

These  paintings are not really recent since I finished them a while back, but they are the last paintings I've done.  Drawing and sketching has taken over my practice, something I'm trying to change this year.  I miss paint, the smell of it, the way it feels when I move it around with fingers, and mostly I miss painting outdoors.  This winter coming up with compositions in my sketchbook has kept me busy, but I'm happy to have taken that approach into painting.  The piece above is from imagination, very much like the sketches, the one challenging aspect though was dealing with color and imagining that.  I had fun creating this little landscape, so much so that I have begun three more.
 
Nellie's Lawn, Rainy Day, 2018, oil on linen, 11 x 15 inches

These two paintings of Nellie's Lawn in Prospect Park are from the end of summer last year, and both were begun in Plein Air on the same day.  I'm looking forward to going back there this spring and summer, I have to make a bigger effort this year.  Last year my summer was overrun (no pun intended) by running.  I have been training for multiple races and half marathons, all which are leading to the full NYC Marathon this coming November. 

Nellie's Lawn, Rainy Day No. 2, 2018, oil on linen, 11 x 15 inches 

I figured running would take a good chunk of time away form my artwork, what I didn't know is that it was going to take over my whole life!  I'm not mad about it though, I set myself a goal and I'm finding a lot more about myself while going through this new phase of my life.

Comments

Popular Posts