Getting More Work Done

Without missing a beat I have started working on another painting. Sometimes it takes me a while to start work after finishing a piece. This time around I'm not going to waist time, or make excuses for not getting work done every night. My night was some what disappointing. I tried making a painting medium of Austrian White Fir Turpentine and Sun Thickened Linseed oil, but for some reason, after adding the turp (turpenoid to be more exact) the medium became cloudy. I was very upset since I knew something had gone wrong. It was not supposed to turn cloudy. It was supposed to be a clear yellow. I left it overnight and found the medium less cloudy but with stuff settled at the bottom. Went to work on it again last night. Had to start the medium all over and hope that it wouldn't go cloudy again. This time I mixed the Sun Thickened Linseed Oil with thinner first and then added the Fir Turpentine, which is a balsam. I couldn't believe my eyes, it was clear. I started stirring the mixture and there it goes again! Turning murky. It looked like yellow milk. Very upsetting! I had to get rid of it and wash the glass jars I was using. I have given up on the Austrian White Fir Turpentine, I'll stick to Canada Balsam and Larch (Venetian) Turpentine. They don't get murky!
After my fiasco I was feeling a bit gloomy, thinking, "this is not my night!" I grabbed a Sean Scully book I had just bought a few days ago, Sean Scully Wall of Light, and was immediately inspired by his work. I set the book aside and went to work on this painting. On the first image you can see the first layer of paint, which is very light. After looking at Scully's work I decided to go dark. This still life of a Carrot on a White Dish will be an ode to Scully's Wall of Light paintings. I don't know why but I like the painting as it is. But I'm not thinking of leaving it that way. I'll have to wait and see where the painting goes. So far it's on point.

Comments

Peter Yesis said…
Terrific beginning. Don't give up on this one. You have a beautiful style that is all your own. I like to say, you have your own voice in paint. Let your confidence show on this one, it will be a beauty.
Luis Colan said…
Thank you Peter, your words mean a lot since you are a great painter. I'm learnign a lot through you blog as well. Especially you new technique of laying down a ground and taking away paint to sketch your composition! I'm not going to give up on this one. I can asure you of that.

Luis
PaintingEachDay said…
Hi Luis, good start. interesting to read... troubles with medium? ... if you like to experiment at little, I like to use a small amount of stand oil with (odorless) Mineral spirits. I also like Liquin very much! I enjoy your writings - Keep up the good work ... and the dialogue!
Luis Colan said…
Hi Ann, Stand oil is great...not sure about liquin though, I don't like how it gets runny after a while. I'm happy you enjoy my writing, I was thinking today maybe I write too much! Thanks for stopping by. By the way, I like your work a lot. Take care.

Luis
r. chunn said…
Hello Luis,

The spirit of alchemy lives on in the painter. Part of the fun and mystery of being an artist is experimenting with different oil mediums. In the basement, I have a big box full of jars containing all my "experiments." I don't know what to do with them. They've taken on a life of their own: some have turned dark, some have become solids, and at least one concoction has separated back into its original components creating a multi-layered effect. Not very suitable as an oil medium, but it might make a nice conversation piece.

These days I keep my medium pretty simple, distilled turpentine or odorless mineral spirits (turpenoid) mixed with linseed oil (cold pressed or alkali refined) or stand oil. Not very exciting but it works for me.

I Enjoy your blog. Good Luck!
Luis Colan said…
hey chunn, it's funny, I thought I was the only one collecting mediums! I have been playing around with different recipes but after mixing the mediums I leave them on my shelve looking pretty. I have been using sun thickened linseed oil with turps and it works great for me. I love the smell of it too. Like you said, it's the spirit of the alchemist in us!

Popular Posts