Unearthed

Potato, 2004, egg tempera on clayboard, 7 x 5 inches

I unearthed this little painting during the weekend while visiting my parents in Connecticut. Was there for Labor Day weekend and got to relax and work on another egg tempera painting. While looking through my box of pigments this little painting of the only potato I have ever painted appeared with another unfinished tempera painting. After taking an egg tempera class with Fred Wessel I went back to oil and promised that I would never deal with the other medium again. This technique is very draining and requires so much patience. There were times when I wanted to throw this painting across the room because I couldn't finish it. At some point I stopped and went back to it after many weeks. I went back to tempera after being hired by Kremer Pigments. Being around more than four hundred pigments forty hours a week made me give tempera a second try. I'm still pleased with this painting. Now I want to top myself by painting an onion using bold colors. Wish me luck!

Comments

Peter Yesis said…
Good luck Luis,
an onion in bold colors, in tempera... you do know a challenge when you see one. If anyone can do it , you can.
hfm said…
I like it!

hfm
http://tcores.blogspot.com
ming said…
nice, i'm really starting to enjoy the clear and honest way you talk about the pictures you post.

makes alot of difference to alot of blogs that just post pictures.
Luis Colan said…
hey Coco, I'm hoping tempera will work for me...I'm still trying to get used to this medium. I get to inpatient.

Ming, I like to say what I feel without wrapping it in a cloud of fancy words that might make me sound like some kind of intellectual. That's not who I am, I'm a more direct person; I like to think my work is as well.
Take care guys!

Luis
Luis Colan said…
hi Peter, the challenge is harder than I expected because not only will I be using green as a background, a color I shy away from, but it's a color taken from a painting by Bronzino. I already started this and there's no turning back. God knows how long it will take until I get it right.

Luis
Mauricio said…
Hola Luis!!!

Yo se que este tipo de comentario es un enbole; que bueno me parece el trabajos de....a mi siempre dicen que los collages se parecen a Dave Mckean (pobre de mi, quien soy, pasarán décadas y ni cerca)

Bueno, digo tempera genial como siempre. Me gusta mucho a Brad Holland, lo conocés?

Mauricio

:0) Hello Coco Sato!!!!!
Luis Colan said…
Holan Mauricio, gracias muchas gracias por los alagos que siempre me das. Tu trabajo es un poquito parecido a Dave McKean pero, por lo que pude ver en Google images, el de el es mas obscuro, como un que tiene un toque de terror. Lo tullo me gusta mejor.

No conosco el trabajo de Brad Holland, ise una busqueda en Google y lo poco que pude ver me dejo un poco confundido. Me gusto algunas piesas y otras no.

Hojala te encuentres saludable y contento estos dias. Cuidate y nos ablamos pronto.

Luis

Popular Posts