The Scammers are Back

In December of 2006 I almost fell victim to an art scam. I was contacted by a possible buyer for some of my paintings and after getting an uneasy feeling about the email I received, I asked a friend's opinion. He got on the computer and did a search, resulting on a long list of people who had been scammed.
Yesterday I received another email, and had the same uneasy feeling. I responded with the cost of the two paintings "Vanlentine" was interested in. This is the response I received:
Hi Luis,

Good to hear back from you. Yes,i will like to proceed with the purchase of both works . I think they are lovely works and i hope to give them good home. Advise if it is possible to give any discount for the purchase of both works.

I am presently away in London for my twin sister's wedding eventhough it comes at a time when i was preparing for a big move and also expecting a baby but it means so much to her. I should be back in few days.

Meanwhile,i will like you to forward your mailing address and phone number so i can inform my husband still shutling between our home in New Jersey and Jo'burg, SA on where to forward the payment . He has just been transfer to head the IT section of their head Office in Jo'burg.

I can also forward your contact info to the local cartage company that will be moving all our house decors so they can get in touch with you to arrange shipping details. They can arrange pick up FedEx pick up of the artworks from your studio.

I will look forward to hearing from you so i can know how best to proceed. Cheers.


Best Regards,
Valentine.

I copied and pasted the body of the letter on google and I was right. This was another scam. What can I say, these people do make me sad and angry. I do not wish them any good in this life. Artists work hard on their art and push themselves to make the best work they can produce. It is always nice to hear feedback from others and yes even better if some one wants to purchase the work. But this kind thing can be very discouraging, and even disrespectful. To all you other artists, be very careful.
Here is the link to the post I wrote in December of 2006 about the first scam. You will find here more information about how the scam works and how you may end up loosing your money and your art.

Comments

Unknown said…
what a bummer. i have never heard of this in the art world until now. Both my dad and ashu were approached by scammers when selling stuff on craigslist, but I never knew of someone approaching about art. thanks for the heads up and when I am rich enough, i will buy art and it won't be a scam. xo
Anonymous said…
I sell my work through my etsy site and they have to use paypal, funds are deposited in my account just like direct deposit.

Glad you caught wind of this scam. Thanks for sharing.

Robert Hoover

Popular Posts