New Painting: Asheville Trail

Asheville Trail, 2010, oil on linen, 20 x 24 inches
I embarked on a three week journey not knowing if I was going to be successful in creating a good landscape. I started working on this image late in 2008, and as work continued through the first months of 2009 I started seeing that I was not getting anywhere. I wasn't ready for a painting with this many elements, and yes, this much green! As with many things I'm unhappy with, I discarded it, telling myself that I would work on it when I was ready. That time came, after taking landscape classes with Robert Zeller I learned a great deal on the subject. It was time to proof myself I could do this, and a little extra push came from the possibility of earning an award for "Best Traditional Landscape" at the Salmagundi Club. Ok, so all that aside, back to the journey. Well it hasn't been easy. Most nights I wanted to tear the painting apart, but at the same time I kept seeing the end of it. It became an obsession, and the possible prize no longer mattered. I turned to landscape paintings from the past, especially Courbet, and I also turned to landscape paintings from the present. I am very well aware that I can't copy others' works, but I do hope to learn from them and take that and apply it in a way that I can develop my own voice. Asheville Trail will be exhibited in the 127th Annual Members' Exhibition at the Salmagundi Club, from November 15 to December 3. Reception and awards will take place on Monday November 22, from 6-8pm. Salmagundi is located at 47 fifth ave. (between 12th and 11th streets), NYC 10003.

Comments

Popular Posts