I Ate My Way Through!

Fiocchetti Gorgonzola from Bar Sport Caffe

Perhaps one of the things I miss most about my trip to Italy is the food.  Never have I experienced such flavors accomplished through sophisticated simplicity and fresh ingredients. The dish above will melt your heart, these Fiocchetti are little pasta bundles, similar to dumplings, filled with creamy pear and cheese, topped with a Gorgonzola sauce. I hope you're ready to devour theses dishes, rest assure you will not leave anything on your plate!
Our first group dinner at Trattoria Toscana

Spaghetti with Duck and Tomato sauce from Trattoria Toscana

The first group dinner was an unbelievable introduction to the culinary world of Cortona, and what a way to kick things off. That night dishes kept coming from the kitchen and we were afraid that there might not be an end. The Spaghetti above was so firm and the sauce could not have been better.
Cheese Ravioli with Truffle Oil and Truffles from Trattoria Toscana

If the first pasta didn't satisfy your appetite, the second tray with Ravioli and Truffles would definitely do the trick. If it din't then you are not human! By this point I think I had reached an orgasm with an antipasti of deep fried mushrooms. Apparently the mushrooms we were served are only harvested in the Tuscan region for a limited time once a year, and we were so lucky to be there at the perfect time to try such delights.
Rosted Duck, Sausages, and Potatoes from Trattoria Toscana

Haven't had enough yet?  Well I guess roasted duck and potatoes with a side of wilted spinach might do the job . There's always more room right?
Antipasti with a view at Ristorante Tonino

I can't even begin to explain how magnificent this dinner at Ristorante Tonino was, the pictures speak for themselves, trust me it was incredible!
Ristorante Tonino

Carbonara at Trattoria Etrusca

This little dish right here, in my opinion, was the best pasta dish I've had all my life, and I'm a big carb eating sun of a gun, and nothing could have prepared me for what my taste buds savored that afternoon at Mario's Trattoria Etrusca. 
Mario, owner and chef of Trattoria Etrusca serving his delicious Carbonara

Mario is pretty much a one man show. He cooks everything, serves the water, wine, the starters, and the main courses; and oh yeah, he clears the tables as well. I hope he has someone to help wash the dishes, not that they needed much cleaning after we licked every little bit off every bowl.
Orecchiette with Creamy Tomato Sauce, Bacon, and Rosemary at Ristorante Pizzeria Fufluns

By this point pasta had become the only source of nutrition for our group, and although we felt like it was becoming punishment, our masochist hearts and stomachs were eager too keep eating more fresh pasta.
Caprese at Ristorante Pizzeria Fufluns

At some point you have to give it a rest, not a bad idea to have a Caprese salad for a light lunch. Trust me, the tomatoes and mozzarella pictured above were so fresh and delicious it put to shame the same ingredients you can get at the farmer's market here in NYC.
Ristorante Tonino

No great meal is complete without a pairing of great wine, thank our lucky stars that for this dinner Castiglion del Bosco, by Massimo Ferragamo, provided a selection of wines to accompany each dish.
Antipastisimo at Ristorante Tonino

Ristorante Tonino is famous for their Antipastisimo, a selection of about twelve delicate and artful antipasti served during one dinner. You think that much food might be too much, but to my surprise it wasn't. The portions were small yet packed with flavor, and each dish was timed perfectly to give your stomach a chance to digest.
Pasta with Tomato Sauce and Wild Boar at Ristorante Pizzeria Fufluns 

With all the food I've had everything is now becoming blurred, although I do remember the pasta above being really good I can't remember if it was wild boar or duck. Regardless, it was yummy!
Penne al Fumo from Trattoria Etrusca

This is the dish that our friend Mario from Trattoria Etrusca is known for world wide, his Penne al Fumo (smoked penne). How exactly is this smoked or with what? I don't know, but all I can say is that it was close to being heavenly, just like his Carbonara.
Pizza at La Croce del Travaglio 

A trip to Italy would not be complete without pizza, and this one let me tell you, was A M A Z I N G! I love eggs, and to have one at the center of a tasty pizza was like eating the food of angels. In all, food culture in Italy has no comparison, there is a certain ritual that goes along with every meal, and the best part is that it is always shared, never alone. Did I make you hungry? I hope so, and now go on and book your trip, believe me the food alone will be worth it!

Comments

Popular Posts