The End of 2016

 Cemagi Beach, Sunset, 2016, oil on linen mounted on panel, 11 x 14 inches 

I know I have neglected this blog for a long time, but I never realized just how much until I went through it today and noticed that I had not posted paintings from the end of last year.  Instagram is what I update almost daily, it seems it's easier and faster for everyone.  Also, does anyone still read blogs?  It almost seems like a thing of the long past, but here I am updating in hopes that it does reach a few people.  

 Cemagi Beach, Morning Light, 2016, oil on linen mounted on panel, 11 x 14 inches 

Last October I had the luck of visiting Bali, a place that was not in my list of places to see but it was an invitation I could not refuse.  Of course I brought my paints with me, I traveled over 24 hours to get there for a two week visit, how could I not?  

Cemagi Beach Rocks, 2016, oil on linen mounted on panel, 9 x 12 inches 

Jet lag in this trip was a blessing, I woke up between five and six in the morning for the first week, allowing me to go out and catch the morning light.  Our property was right on the beach, which was only accessible in the morning when the tide was low.  Around 1pm. the ocean would claim this beach and waves would come crashing against the walls.  

Bali Sunset, 2016, oil on linen mounted on panel, 9 x 12 inches 

Later in the afternoon the ocean would recede again revealing new formations on the dark brown sand.  Painting in Bali was a nice change, I was forced to use a different color palette to reflect the earthy tones of the place.  

Pura Dalem Segara II, 2016, oil on linen mounted on panel, 11 x 14 inches 

Temples were every where, and this is not an exaggeration.  Every building, private or commercial, either had a temple attached or some sort of altar, all filled with offerings of flowers and food.  The structures are very intricate there, a feast for the eyes that at times turned overwhelming.  This temple was located at the back of the property where our group stayed.  This is the second painting of this temple, the first one I never got to finish because it was much more intricate.  At some point I have to finish it using photos I took of the place.   
   
 
September Afternoon in Cold Spring, 2016, oil on linen mounted on panel, 14 x 11 inches 

In September a small group of us took a little weekend getaway to Cold Spring, NY.  I love being in the country side of the North East.  The light is different, and when the sun goes down everything seems magical.  The leaves in the trees begin to become alive, and as the gentle summer breeze sweeps through and the trees put on a fluttering show.  Life goals - get a house Upstate and paint all day!  
 
A Creek in Cold Spring, 2016, oil on linen mounted on panel, 9 x 12 inches 

2016 was a busy year, I'm not sure if I had mentioned it before but I got married in July.  The months leading up to the big day were busy with planning, all while working my full time job and keeping up with my artwork.  This year things have calmed down a little but time is flying by, I'm working on paintings, drawings, and prints, but somehow it feels like I don't have enough to show for it.  Time to get serious and make more art!  More to come very soon. 

Comments

Popular Posts