Recent Monotypes

Untitled, 2020, monotype on Rives BFK grey paper, image 6 x 8 inches, sheet 8 1/2 x 11 inches 

Last month I went back to printmaking and these are the monotypes that came out of my first two sessions at the Lower East Side Printshop.  I have to admit at first I felt a bit rusty and unsure about what I was doing.  It’s how the old saying goes, “use it or loose it.” 

Arbolado XVIII, 2020, monotype on Rives Heavyweight buff paper, image 8 x 6 inches, sheet 11 x 8 1/2 inches 

When things feel unsure always go back to familiar things, in this case the approach, to get you going.  Such was the case with the print above.  I felt so “tight” that I had to let go and make marks on the plate and pull an image out from the dark ink without planning or using a sketch as a reference.  This method has always worked well for me, I treat it like an ice breaker.   

Sepia Nocturne, 2020, monotype on Rives BFK grey paper, image 8 x 6 inches, sheet 11 x 8 1/2 inches 

Same approach went on this nocturne, with the exception that on this particular session I decided to change the color of ink and paper.  I’ve worked with this combination in the past and enjoyed it, so I thought why not go back to it again?  One thing I was able to notice is that Rives BFK paper dries nicely flat after being wet.  No need to put weight on it while it dries, it naturally goes back to its original state.  

Arbol Doblado II, 2020, monotype on Rives Heavyweight buff paper, image 8 x 6 inches, sheet 8 1/2 x 11 inches 

I have been using Rives Heavyweight paper for years, mostly because I love the warm creamy tone.  It’s a perfect color, not too yellow or red.  But unlike what the name of it may suggest, this paper is actually pretty thin for a printmaking paper.  Definitely thinner than Rives BFK.  This can be a challenge when prints dry, sometimes they don’t flatten out.  

Untitled, 2020, monotype on Rives Heavyweight buff paper, image 6 x 8 inches, sheet 8 1/2 x 11 inches 

On my next session I think I will experiment with other color inks and paper.  I’m seeing a bright red ink on the grey Rives BFK paper, or maybe even white ink.  That would be an interesting session indeed.  Keep checking back again for more work, and more news!  Yes I have a couple of things cooking at the moment.  Come on back and if anyone is really reading this blog, thank you for taking the time to “hear” me babble.    

Along a Trail, 2020, monotype on Rives BFK grey paper, image 6 x 8 inches, sheet 8 1/2 x 11 inches 


 

Comments

Popular Posts