Planning Before Painting? II

Since I started painting I stopped drawing. Drawing was the only thing I knew how to do, but it just stopped as soon as I picked up the brush. We all have different ways at tackling our own work. Some plan for it and some go with the flow and work out the problems while creating. I'm one of those who like to go with the flow. I'm very impatient, therefore I hate to plan for paintings. I get to work on them right away and work at it until it pleases me. But lately I've felt less of an artist because I don't use drawing to plan for my work. Apparently to some purists you have to make thumbnail sketches or a number of studies before you start painting.
When talking about the subject a friend told me not so long ago that he can't start to work on a painting unless he has made many different drawings to determine the best composition. More power to you if this is the way you work. It shows discipline and commitment. But there are some of us who just can't go at it the same way. Reason why I start to paint right away is because I spend a long time setting up my subject the way I think it might work on the painting. I play around with the light and once I get it I take a picture of it. Yes I work from pictures! Some criticize this method, but I live in a very small space and have two kitties who love to play with everything they can find. Setting up a permanent still life is not an option for me. Besides, I'm a product of my own time and cameras play big part in modern life.
I thought about this for a while and decided to try to draw before painting. It does help you understand your subject a little better but I still don't see the difference. The only way this has helped me is to be able to plan for the size of the actual canvas I'm going to use and the scale of the subject within the space.
Here are two drawings, which have not yet been made into paintings, and an ink sketch which now exists as a painting. I like drawing, but it doesn't capture my attention like painting does.




Comments

Popular Posts