Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Sketchy Sketch!

Sketch of an Apple on White Cloth, 2006, oil on canvas panel, 8 x 6 inches
I'm back! I think! It's been a while since I've done a painting of any sort. Too many things going on at once and it hasn't given me the time to work on my painting, last night I forced myself to paint something. It feels good. I have been in a bad mood the last couple of weeks since I haven't painted and now that nasty feeling is gone. For this sketch I wanted to stay away from the central or single subject still life. But I didn't want to get too complicated, so I ended up again with a single subject; an apple. I did try to make it different by setting the apple atop a white cloth. I decided at the very beginning that this will be a sketch to familiarize myself with the subject that will be a more polished painting. Reason why I didn't worry too much about details, instead I just wanted to get shapes and colors going to give me an idea of how it might, or not, work. This allowed me to apply paint loosely, a style of painting I'm still not too comfortable with. I do like the effects of thick paint but my hand feels strange when working this way.

7 comments:

Bob said...

Glad your back to painting. It's easy to get distracted.

Luis Colan said...

Thanks Bob, I was beginning to worry that I might go too long and confortable without painting, thank God that's changed.

Louis Boileau said...

Yeah baby!...loose!!
Very Cezanne!

Takeyce said...

Very nice, Luis!

Takeyce said...

Very nice, Luis!

jrmedia - on painters & painting said...

...thanks for introducing me to Brice Marden (a few posts ago). I agree, great work!

Luis Colan said...

Louis, I had a feeling you might enjoy this painting, and thank you very much for that Cezanne comment even though I don't deserve to be in the same sentece with him.

Takeyce thank you for looking at my work.

JRMedia thanks for your comment. I'm glad you enjoyed Marden's work.