My First Landscape

By the Stream, 2002, oil on canvas, 20 x 16 inches
One of the joys of going back to my parents' is finding old drawings and paintings I didn't think still existed. My mother, bless her heart, has always been a fan of going through the trash and pulling out work I used to throw away. From time to time I go through one of those moods when I cut, chop, and tear work I think is not good enough. From time to time I see these random pieces of my past displayed in my mother's bedroom walls, and one of her proud pieces is this landscape. It was interesting to see again, especially now that I'm working on landscapes. I can see some of my growth from this but at the same time I still see the same paint application, the same hand at work. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but I enjoyed revisiting this painting and its memories none the less.

Comments

Popular Posts